Smart Growth America, an organization that supports sustainable and healthy community development making neighborhoods a better place to live, has announced that they are now accepting applications for free technical assistance
, in the form of workshops, for 2012.
Each year Smart Growth America gives communities the opportunity to receive free assistance in building a stronger local economy and creat
ing better neighborhoods. The deadline to apply for this opportunity is October 25th at 5pm and any section of local government, Indian tribe, or regional government is eligible for this technical assistance. Smart Growth America’s technical workshops are funded by grants from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) under the Sustainable Communities Program.
The workshops range from beginner introductions to advanced implementation techniques and cover a broad range of issues in between.
The one to two day workshops will cover 12 types of common challenges in planning sustainable communities
- Implementing Smart Growth 101
- Planning for Economic and Fiscal Health
- Regional Planning for Small Communities
- Sustainable Land Use Code Audit
- Smart Growth Zoning Codes for Small Cities
- Complete Streets
- Walkability Workshop/Audit
- Transportation Performance Measurement
- Parking Audit
- Implementing Transit-Oriented Development 101
- Cool Planning: Local Strategies to Slow Climate Change
- Using LEED-ND to Accelerate the Development of Sustainable Communities